Incredible nutritional benefits of sprouts
Sprouts have become a new food trend of healthy eating. Though they were used for a long time, recently they are becoming more popular and are preferred by most people due to their incredible nutritional benefits. Their list of health benefits is quite impressive, they boost metabolism, treats digestive problems, keep you in shape by reducing cholesterol, controls high BP, reduce allergies, improves immunity, improves skin and hair health, prevents cancer, improves eye health, and most importantly treats anemia.
What are Sprouts?
Sprouts are nothing but germinated seeds, grains, or nuts. To germinate, soak your favorite seeds or grains or others in water for a certain period of time. During this time a little green-colored tail appears and this is when they are said to be sprouted. Different types of grains, beans, nuts, and legumes can all be sprouted. The nutritional value of these seeds enhances with sprouting, sprouted nuts tend to have a high concentration of vitamins, minerals, proteins, and antioxidants including dietary fiber, pantothenic acid, thiamine, niacin, riboflavin, vitamin A, vitamin C, zinc, iron, copper, calcium, digestive enzymes, and many others. Sprouted seeds or nuts are very healthy and have high nutritional values when compared to non-sprouted ones. You can eat the sprouts raw, they are crunchy and tasty or you can even add them in salads, sandwiches, and others, they make them more tasty and nutritious.
Here, today let us look at some of the sprout’s health benefits and the reasons what make them a must in our diet.
7 Surprising health benefits
Here are few hidden health benefits of sprouts
- Treats Digestive problems- Sprouts are the rich source of digestive enzymes, which play a crucial role in improving the digestive process and boost the metabolic process. Sprouts also contain huge amounts of fiber which boosts digestion and treats problems like constipation, diarrhea and reduces the risk of piles.
- Keeps you in shape- Sprouts are apt for people who are diet conscious, as they are low in calories, fats and are high nutrients. The high fiber present in them keeps you full for long period and eliminates the risk of binge eating. Sprouts are highly suggestible for obese people, they help to lose excess weight and bring you back into shape. Omega 3 fatty acids present in sprouts help to reduce bad cholesterol and improve heart health. Sprouts also control hypertension.
- Improves immunity and reduces allergies- Few types of sprouts especially broccoli sprouts are known to reduce allergic reactions like asthma, skin allergies, and others. Antioxidant properties of vitamin A and vitamin C present in sprouts helps to boost the immune system and keeps infections and other diseases at bay.
- Beneficial for skin and hair- Vitamin C present in sprouts helps to improve collagen production and prevents premature aging. The nutrients present in them keep your skin hydrated and also enhances its glow.
Vitamin A, zinc, selenium, biotin, and proteins in sprouts are considered to be very beneficial for hair, they eliminate the risk of dandruff and also help in the healthy growth of hair by keeping your roots and hair strands healthy.
- Treats Anemia- Anemia is mainly caused due to iron deficiency. Sprouts are considered to be a rich source of iron. They play a crucial role in preventing and treating anemia by improving RBC count and circulation.
- Prevent Cancer- Nutrients like vitamin A, vitamin C, amino acids, proteins, and antioxidants present in sprouts fight against free radicals and reduce the risk of cancers.
- Beneficial for eyes- Vitamin A present in sprouts helps to improve your eye health by fighting free radicals. Sprouted nuts improve vision and also reduce the risk of cataracts and macular degeneration.